How to help improve your child's Literacy
The importance of Literacy
At Harris Academy Chafford Hundred we have always promoted our students’ Literacy and worked hard to ensure they achieve to the very best of their ability.
Now this is more important than ever with statistics showing a decline in Literacy standards nationally.
Did you know?
- Less than half of 8 to 16 year olds have read a book in the last month
- 49% of children and young adults think that reading is boring
- Children who enjoy reading very much are 5 times more likely to be above average readers
- 22% of children report that no one at home encourages them to read
- 1 in 3 does not own a book
- 62% of boys do not enjoy writing and pupils at Key Stage 4 are the least likely to enjoy writing
- Pupils on free school meals have much less confidence in their writing ability
- Research shows that the average length of a student’s contribution to a class discussion is 4 words
- A 4 year old with professional parents will have been exposed to 50 million words compared to 12 million words for a child from a disadvantaged background
- We owe it to our students to give them the very best Literacy skills, in order to improve their chances in life and to enable them to succeed in whatever path they choose.
At Harris Academy Chafford Hundred we will be working hard to support your child’s Literacy development in all subjects and we would welcome any time you could devote to this at home.
Over the coming weeks and months we will be adding a series of materials for you to use with your son/daughter.
Please keep a check on the website and help us to help your child. Support our belief that, “No skill is more crucial to the future of a child, or to a democratic and prosperous society, than Literacy.”
“The Los Angeles Times”