Harris Academies
All Academies in our Federation aim to transform the lives of the students they serve by bringing about rapid improvement in examination results, personal development and aspiration.

What should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?

What should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?

A child or young person has SEN if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her.

A child of compulsory school age or a young person has a learning difficulty or disability if he or she:

(a)   Has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age, or

(b)   Has a disability which prevents or hinders him or her from making use of educational facilities of a kind    generally provided for others of the same age in a mainstream schools or mainstream post 16 institutions.

At HACH staff and parents/carers will work together to support students identified as having SEN. Parents’ evenings provide regular opportunities to discuss concerns  and progress. Parents/carers are also able to make other appointments on request.  
An appointment can also be requested with the SENCo if there are concerns relating to special educational needs. *Please contact Tania Sneddon.

What should I do if the school and I disagree?
If a parent wishes to complain about the provision or the policy, they should in the first instance, raise it with the SENCO, who will try to resolve the situation. If the issue  cannot be resolved within 10 working days, the parent can submit a formal complaint to the Principal in writing or any other accessible format. The Principal will reply in 10 working days. Any issues that remain unresolved at this stage will be managed according to the school’s complaints procedure.