An average Attainment 8 score of 5.5 as well as a Grade 5 in English Language or Literature and Grade 5 in Maths. A Grade B in Business GCSE is preferred. An additional AS in Core Maths is advised if not taking Maths A Level.
What is A Level Business?
Business focuses on the inside workings of business, looking in more detail at different functions including marketing, production, people, finance and accounting as well as how the environment in which business operates provides opportunities and threats to their primary purpose of making a profit.
The qualification is built around two exams that have central case studies. This provides you with the opportunity to apply theory to real life situations and prove your evaluation skills.
Year 1 Course Content
- the importance of the context of business in relation to decision making
- the interrelated nature of business activities and how they affect competitiveness
- the competitive environment and the markets in which businesses operate
- the influences on functional decisions and plans including ethical and environmental issues
- the factors that might determine whether a decision is successful e.g. the quality of data and the degree of uncertainty
- how technology is changing the way decisions are made and how businesses operate and compete
- the impact on stakeholders of functional decisions and their response to such decisions
- use of non-quantitative and quantitative data in decision making
Year 2 Course Content
- the impact of technology on strategic decision making
- the influences of Corporate Social Responsibility, ethical and environmental issues on strategic decisions
- the difficulties in forecasting future trends
- the importance of assessing feasibility and risk when making strategic decisions
- the impact on stakeholders of strategic decisions and their response to such decisions
How will you be assessed?
100% examination at the end of two years based on three 2 hour written papers.
Exam Board: AQA