- You are here
Each year pupils at the academy are allocated a locker. The lockers have been checked and cleaned prior to the start of the academic year.
Pupils can expect: -
- To be allocated a cleaned, working locker each year.
- To be provided with a means of securing the locker.
Pupils are expected to: -
- Keep their lockers clean and in good condition.
- Cover the cost of replacing security devices should they be lost or damaged.
- Return keys and cards at the end of the academic year when requested.
- Report any locker problems immediately.
The following FAQs should answer any questions about lockers. If you have a question about lockers that is not answered here, please ask ICT.
Do I have to pay for a locker
Lockers are currently provided to pupils at no cost. Pupils are required to cover the cost of replacement cards or padlocks should they become damaged or lost.
What types of lockers are there?
There are three types of lockers: -
- PIN (requires a number to be entered via a keypad)
- Swipe card.
Sometimes where a locking mechanism has failed, the locker is repaired with a staple and hasp. The locker type remains the same.
How do I find my locker?
Good question! A description of your locker location will be included on the envelope in which you receive your keys/swipe card at the beginning of the academic year. The description will include which floor and the nearest easily identifiable reference point (i.e. a classroom). . . and your locker number. Alternatively ask at reception or ICT. In the future we are intending to publish a locker map.
I’ve just been allocated a locker and it doesn’t open, why not?
Check you have the right locker. Unfortunately lockers have been numbered by type (i.e. PIN, padlock, swipe) and it can be a little confusing. We are looking to improve this..
How do I change my locker?
Once your locker has been allocated in most circumstances you cannot change it unless you have a compelling reason. If you think you have such a reason then speak to the Pastoral team. If the Pastoral team think you have reason enough they will try to organise moving to another locker.
Can I swap lockers with someone else?
No! – No unauthorised locker changes are allowed. There are good reasons for this; - say you changed locker and this wasn’t documented, and for some reason you were unable to access your locker (i.e. you’ve lost your keys). You then ask Site Services to open your locker, but, because they cannot verify it’s your locker, it takes longer and involves more ‘senior’ members of the school.
Why do I have to cover the cost of replacement ‘security devices’?
Unlike many schools The Academy does not require a deposit or charge a rental on the lockers so you have no outlay. You are issued with a card and a padlock if needed. It is your responsibility to look after these items. If you lose or damage your cards then you will have to cover the cost to replace them. These are school items and should be returned when you have finished your education at the school.
Why do I have to use a ‘security device’?
There are three reasons: -
- Safety – if the locker is not secured then the locker door may stay open, becoming a safety hazard.
- Security – if you leave your locker unlocked then there is always a possibility that the contents of your locker may not stay where you put them.
- Squatters! – an unlocked locker may be considered ‘unused’. You may find yourself evicted and that someone else has taken control of your locker.
Why do I have to return my card/keys at the end of the academic year?
Two reasons: -
- It is the schools intention that all pupils have their cashless catering card and access to their lockers on the first day of the new academic year. If you do not return your card, (and keys), you will be issued with a replacement, for which you will be charged.
- The lockers are cleaned and reallocated over the summer break.
If I return my keys and my card at the end of the year, why do I have to lock the padlock to the locker with the door left open?
There are several reasons: -
- If you are being reallocated the same locker your card and keys will not need to be accessed (less risk of loss, mix ups etc).
- The locker can be quickly accessed for cleaning without having to retrieve keys.
- The padlock will not need to be cut off.
- Your locker can’t be used by anybody else whilst locked open.
What happens if I leave ‘my stuff’ in my locker over the summer?
Unless you have been identified as absent on the last day, anything left in your locker will be considered ‘rubbish’ and disposed.
I’ve lost my card/keys, what do I do?
You will need to complete the ‘locker access request’ form in ICT. Your details will be checked and then ICT will arrange for your locker to be opened. You will need to purchase a new card/padlock which can be paid for at reception or in the Admin office.
Report the problem to ICT as soon as you can.
Report the problem to ICT as soon as you can.
What should I do if I suspect someone knows my PIN code?
Report the problem to ICT as soon as you can. ICT will change your PIN code.
Why does my PIN locker show a red light when I try to open/close my locker?
The red light indicates that the locker is in need of maintenance. Please report the problem to ICT as soon as you can.