- You are here
- Independent Learning Assignment
- Independent Learning Assignments
Independent Learning Assignments
Independent Learning after school sessions will start week beginning 17th September 2012.
Independent Learning has been set up in order to support your child’s progress both at school and during their studies at home. Parents, students and staff were all involved in the development of the policy, and we hope that with your support, it will continue to have a successful impact on your child’s academic progress. Independent Learning has become a very positive aspect for the students at the Academy. A summary of the main points of the policy is outlined below:
- Independent Learning is academically based and will prepare all students for their half-termly assessments.
- All Independent Learning written work is to be completed in your child’s exercise book unless stipulated otherwise, which must then be brought in to school for class discussion, assessment or class/peer/teacher marking.
- All Independent Learning for every subject will be posted on the website every two weeks, with a two week deadline for completion.
- For Year 7 and 8 students, the recommended total is 6 to 8 hours Independent Learning per week. For students in Years 9,10,11 and 12 this amount is 8 to 10 hours per week.
- Every half term your son/daughter will be awarded a level or grade for every subject. The more Independent Learning completed, the better the progress towards their target grade or level is expected. Details of your child’s levels and grades will be posted home to all parents every term.
The following measures have been put in place to assist all students with their Independent Learning and to develop their Independent Learning skills. Please encourage your son/daughter to attend the sessions after school:
- Independent Learning lessons will take place from 3.45-5.30pm on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays. A timetable is below.
- Independent Learning will commence the week beginning Monday 12th September 2011.
- The uniform and behaviour policy will have to be adhered to during Independent Learning lessons. Students can only attend one session per evening and must stay until at least 5pm. No student will be allowed to leave before this time without parental permission.
- A teacher and usually a member of support staff will be supervising the lesson. They will be able to help students with their Independent Learning but will not be teaching a new lesson.
- Attendance is optional, although students will be expected to attend if they are not achieving their target levels or grades. The learning completed will count towards the recommended six to eight hours Independent Learning per week.
- Students are also encouraged to engage with their learning by researching further areas of interest, or studying areas of difficulty. All students are advised to read a variety of genres as often as possible in their own time - at an appropriate level of difficulty.
Independent Learning is only useful if both the school and parents monitor the quality of the work completed. A full copy of the policy can be viewed on our website: http://www.harrischaffordhundred.org.uk
I would be happy to discuss any aspect of Independent Learning during the parents’ forums, details of which you will find in ‘dates for your diary’ in the parents’ section of the website. Alternatively please contact Miss K Fanning Assistant Principal.
Dr C Tomlinson
Independent Learning Session
English – G11 &G12
Maths – G8
Topic/general – G9
Maths – G8
Science – F8