Download our FREE smartphone app today!
Attendance and Punctuality
Regular attendance is a vital part of securing student welfare. Students at the Academy have an excellent attendance record. In order to best ensure the welfare of students, attendance is checked every morning and afternoon for every student and contact should be made with parents and carers where there is non-attendance.
In order to support the Academy, we request that parents or carers contact the Academy by 9am by telephone in the event of absence.
The table below shows how the number of days absent works out as a percentage of total days in school in an academic year.
|Attendance %||Absence %||Days Absent in a Year|
1 day off a month = 2 weeks missed at school each year
17 days off school each year = 1 Grade lower at GCSE
- 0 Qualifications = £7.44 per hour
- GCSEs = £9.02 per hour 'A' Levels = £10.25 per hour
- Graduate degree = £15.01 per hour
School x Attendance = Success
- 1 in 5 pupils miss 19 days a year. These pupils will drop at least ONE GCSE GRADE in each of your subjects.
- 1-4 GCSE grades can increase your wages by 17%
- 5 or more GCSE grades 5 to 9 can increase your wages by 41%
- If you improve your attendance by 1% you could see a 5-6% improvement in your attainment
Lateness = lost learning
- 5 minutes late each day 3 days lost
- 10 minutes late each day 6.5 days lost
- 15 minutes late each day 10 days lost
- 20 minutes late each day 13 days lost
- 30 minutes late each day 19 days lost
Thresholds of attendance
- Pupils with attendance of 100% EXCELLENT
- Pupils with attendance between 99% and 98% GOOD
- Pupils with attendance between 98% and 95% SHOULD IMPROVE
- Pupils with attendance below 95% VERY POOR – cause for concern
- Pupils with attendance of 90% or lower (persistent absence). Serious cause for concern.